Thursday 16 September 2010

WALK WALK FASHION BABY

I don't have a fashion degree or any professional experience in fashion writing or criticism (I wish!) - just an unhealthy passion and a myriad of opinions... hence this blog!

I guess that's why, in a way, I feel free to say exactly what I feel about collections and designers without any pre-programmed fashion ideology about who's better or worse than anyone else. I base my opinions purely on aesthetics, progression and context - not reputation.

I have a point, I promise! What I'm talking about is Fashion Week. I'm very excited to see the SS11 collections at London Fashion Week, in particular PPQ, Topshop Unique, House of Holland, Betty Jackson, Richard Nicoll, Mulberry, Christopher Kane, Holly Fulton, Erdem, Pringle, Burberry and Ashish... and eclectic mix, but I have reasons for them all, trust me!

But, if you've read this blog before, you'll know that Spring Summer collections are not my favourite - I find them the most uninspired out of SS and AW, often safe and occasionally predictable. To illustrate what I mean, here's the Marc by Marc Jacobs show at NY Fashion Week:



I mean, flashes of bright, preppy, primary colours against neutrals and pastels, 50s-style dresses and slouchy tshirts just don't excite me. Of course some individual pieces were beautiful and I did love the mad brushed-out bouffants... but overall I just cannot get excited by this.

But then, on the other hand, Alexander Wang made me think I really need to be more open-minded about SS collections. This is GORGEOUS and edgy:



The middle portion with the sheer, shimmery fabric over the metallic pattern cut in a feminine, yet still somehow quite angular way, reminded me of the Rodarte AW10 collection - but much softer and more tactile. Plus, Abbey Lee's gone ice blonde and it is HOT! Is there no look she doesn't suit?

Anyway, I digress. I'm looking forward to seeing the collections I mentioned with an open mind - just please, no more stripey tshirts and 50s tea dresses!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

stripes and tea dresses are such classics, but it would be nice to see something new, i agree!

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...