Thursday 30 September 2010

PUGH TWO

Gareth Pugh showed his SS11 collection in Paris yesterday... I say "showed" but instead of the traditional catwalk show he chose to showcase the collection solely via this 11 minute film directed again by Ruth Hogben - same director that did his AW collection video. I love this new trend - it allows for so much more artistic freedom rather than JUST a runway show.

For those looking for a perfect example of fashion as art, enjoy:










Futuristic, creepy, awesome, freaky!

Reminds me very much of Chris Cunningham , except obviously much less scary and disturbing!

On to the actual clothes...









What I love about this is that it's not OBVIOUSLY a Spring/Summer collection. It is definitely softer and lighter than his AW collection in terms of colour and structure - that would be a given for SS I guess, but there's not a cliched floral or pastel or skater skirt or garish print in sight. Hurrah! Not a hint of the 70s for once!

The tones of silver, white, grey and black are refreshingly different for Spring (though white does seem to be a key colour) but still typically gothic and dangerous which I love.

Granted, I'm sure this isn't everyone's cup of tea. Even for me it's maybe slightly too futuristic, a little too sci-fi... A label he reportedly hates, though he doesn't exactly do himself many favours printing nylon with actual aluminium!

But at least he's taking risks. It's adventurous, edgy, a bit masculine for spring, but I think he pulls it off. Also, using the Amazonian and androgynous Kristen McMenamy was a bold move since she's such an icon, but her particular look works exquisitely well here.

Long live the Pugh!

2 comments:

3ate4 said...

The first outfit is great!

Kirsty said...

Amazing, eh? It's probably my favourite... That or the all-silver creation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...