Thursday 9 September 2010

I STILL WANT TO DROWN WHENEVER YOU LEAVE



So The XX won the Mercury Music prize, deservedly in my opinion. I would have liked to have seen Laura Marling win for I Speak Because I Can because of how much she has progressed and developed since her first effort, Alas I Cannot Swim. But, The XX's album was one of my favourites of the year. Maybe actually ever.

A bold claim, but it's so chillingly beautiful and subtle in the way it creeps up on you and lingers in your mind. The lyrics are deliciously ambiguous and the music is haunting and even spine-chilling at times.

One of my biggest regrets was not being quick enough to nab tickets to see them live at the Barrowlands. I won't make that mistake again. If you've been living in a cave and haven't heard it, please get it. You won't be disappointed.

This is my favourite off the album. Without wanting to sound pure emo, after a turbulent few months, this album and song in particular was the soundtrack I deviated to without almost realising it.

Congrats.

1 comment:

The Robyn Diaries said...

Amazing shout, I was so glad they won too! I kind of hand a candle for Mumford but The XX are so different to anything else out there at the moment that it couldn't have really been anybody else :) and only at 20 too!

R x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...