Wednesday 11 April 2012

ROY LICHTENSTEIN: A RETROSPECITVE

Next month the Art Institute of Chicago will premier a new and extensive exhibition of Roy Lichtenstein's work featuring over 130 pieces of art including his iconic Pop Art comic strip paintings, sculptures, nudes and later abstract expressionist work.

"Lichtenstein is an artist whose work is widely known, reproduced, copied, and parodied—he is an artist that we seem to know well but in fact the true diversity and complexity of his oeuvre is little understood."

Although he's often unjustly overshadowed by Andy Warhol as the premier Pop Artist of the 60s and early 70s, I've actually always preferred Lichtenstein's classic Pop Romance artwork to Warhol's soup cans or Marilyns. As art (which, as a rule I know nothing about) I find it more accessible, easier to get my head around and infinitely more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Call me ignorant but there you go!

 Some of my favourites include his most famous work:

Remember when Marlena from Self Constructed Freak went as Crying Girl for halloween? Pretty much the best idea ever!



I have this on a mug. It's my favourite mug. #stopsayingmug




Not everyone's cup of tea I'm sure, but I'm a sucker for primary colours, bold lines and a love story.

I feel kind of stupid admitting I didn't really know there was much more to Lichtenstein than that, but it turns out that from the mid 70s to early 90s he experimented with more abstract, expressionist work which I'm now also loving. Especially that last one... Muchos Picasso-y, non?






Love. The exhibition will be moving around America before coming to the Tate Modern early next year. If you live around London definitely check it out. I'd love to go!

As a wee side note, here's a quick swatch at Australian designer Josh Goot's SS10 collection which reminds me of a classic Roy Lichtenstein...




Jazzy.








2 comments:

Amy said...

I love Lichtenstein, definitely trumps Warhol in my eyes! xx

Deconstructing Roy Lichtenstein said...

DECONSTRUCTING ROY LICHTENSTEIN © 2000 David Barsalou MFA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deconstructing-roy-lichtenstein/

http://davidbarsalou.homestead.com/LICHTENSTEINPROJECT.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...