Monday 11 April 2011

LABRADORITE LOVE

In a desperate attempt to put off a heinous court report assignment, I thought I'd share with you my recent penchant for a particular gemstone - Labradorite.

No, weirdly nothing to do with labradors, this is actually a translucent feldspar (aka cool-looking gemstone) which originates from the Labrador region of Canada, but variations are found in Finland and Madagascar - and even in some meteorites too. Check it out:




Raw properties of Labradorite


With its shimmering array of colours, Labradorite has traditionally symbolised fantasy and creativity.

According to an Eskimo legend, the Northern Lights were once imprisoned in the rocks along the coast of Labrador.  It is told that a wandering Eskimo warrior found them and was able to free most of the lights with a mighty blow of his spear. Some of the lights were still trapped within the stone, and VOILA = Labradorite!

Labradorite is said to provide quick relief from anxiety, hopelessness and depression, replacing them with enthusiasm, self-confidence and inspiration. It is said to dispel negativity and to bring clear understanding by enhancing clarity of thought and improving one's ability to cooperate with others in harmony.

So far so good, but this bit get a little freeekay:
A sister to moonstone, labradorite links to the "darker" Crone aspects of the Goddess, and grants inner knowing of mystery. It enhances intuition and psychic perception; just like the cord-cutting Crone, it helps the bearer to release judgment, and understand their destiny.

Um... OKAAAAAY...?

But look how pretty it is! 

I actually first became aware of Labradorite when I spotted this Vivienne Westwood beauty on Hervia:

I was all like, whaaaa IS THAT STONE?! Pretty, no? Sadly it's more than a little out of my price range, but when I was trawling through Net a Porter looking for one of my last treats from my win, I spotted this Monica Vinader small nugget silver and Labradorite ring and snaffled it up toot sweet:



Gorgeous, right? It's actually a much warmer sort of smoky colour in real life, but the way it reflects light is just stunning. I want MORE!
I yet again took to Etsy and did a generic search. Look at what treasures I found:


Huge raw Labradorite teardrop ring. Yes please!


Faceted Labradorite teardrop pendant on gold chain.


Gorgeous orb pendant - does anyone else think the second shot looks like a wee mini universe or star nebula?

Tiny Labradorite orb silver stacking ring.


I'd be happy with any of these. Love it. What are some of your favourite gemstones?


6 comments:

Adele @ THOMASSENLAND said...

it actually kind of reminds me of the galaxy print for the christopher kane stuff!

Julia M said...

Strangely, I spent hours in eBay last night browsing for labradorite cabochons to use in my upcoming jewellery-making frenzy! When I get everything done I'll be sure to send you a labradorite piece!

Kirsty said...

@ Adele - I know RIIIGHT? Think that's part of the reason I'm so obsessed with the stuff

and Julia, how conincidental is that?! Seriously can't stop staring it pics of it online (creepy). And an upcoming jewellery-making frenzy sounds mighty interesting, you must keep me posted!
xx

NATIVE FOX said...

Adorable post and blog! xo

danielle said...

this is super educational and awesome at the same time. check check. the pictures are rad, the jewelry is rad, and i'm in love with the background on your blog. i was obsessed with all the outerspace prints designers like ronny kobo and christopher kane were using. never splurged on one, but can't stop staring at them. needless to say it makes me enjoy your blog even more :)
glad you liked the PBJ songs! and thanks for following! following you right back!

lucy said...

I thought exactly the same thing re:Christopher Kane prints and this stone.

It's so beautiful! I think I might have to have an Etsy search myself.

Also I really like how informative this post was, I feel I've learnt quite a lot just from reading it

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...