Tuesday 22 February 2011

ALEXANDER WANG- AW11 REVIEW... FINALLY!

Ahhh! HOW ON EARTH has it taken me so long to get round to having a proper look at the NYFW shows? I mean LFW is practically finished y'all and here I am at least a whole week behind - dear oh dear!

(Actually, it's been due, in part, to being pulled in lots of different directions by other parts of my life at the moment - uni, work experience, CV pimping, generally pondering where my career/life is headed... *stares listlessly into the middle distance* Aaaaaaanyway...)

It's no secret that I love Alexander Wang. My sage Rocco bag is one of my most coveted items from the Net a Porter win, and if I could have the £5,000 again a large chunk of it would go on more of his bags/shoes/shirts/jackets you name it, I love it. I'll be honest and admit that my enthusiasm (obsession?) for him took a tiny dip with his SS11 offering as I just don't tend to dig white. As ever I was still impressed with the cut of the pieces and the overall feeling of optimism and purity the collection represented, but what can I say... I'm a goth at heart.

As you can imagine then, I was suitably wowed by Wang's predominantly black pre-fall collection. In particular I mentioned loving the mind-bending mid-length proportions of the dropped waist/hemlines, and all in all it created a fitting segway into the AW11 collection which showed last week in New York.

Predominantly an outerwear collection, Wang took a detour back into what he knows and does oh so well - sporty, Gothic, luxurious, cool...


Wrap me up in this jacket/poncho effort, please?

Just effortless.

Loving the silk long-shorts and fur collar.

Is it a fleece? Is it a poncho? Is it a dress gone wrong/right? Who cares, just look at that drapey hem. I wish I'd seen this in action -can just imagine how deliciously it moves...

Looking to jazz up that old black suit jacket? Faux-fur sleeves people! Of course! Topshop is already taking inspiration from Burberry and adding leather to the sleeves of its trenchcoats but come next season it'll all be about faux-fur sleeves...

This reminds me a lot of the Yohi Yamamoto's "suit as security blanket" theme from his AW menswear collection - there's definitely something similar going on with the proportions and over-sized cut of this. Just inspired.

Classic Wang cool-factor, no?


Is there a strong narrative going on here (a la Rodarte)? Not particularly.
Is Wang breaking from all tradition and re-inventing the wheel? Well...No.

But frankly, I don't care. Like Alabama Worley in True Romance I found myself repeating the same three words endlessly while browsing these pics... You're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool...

Thoughts please??


I'm aware this post has been a total Wang love-fest (and who doesn't enjoy one of those........) HOWEVER I've since seen some big-named shows I have NOT enjoyed so much, but I always hesitate to post those kind of reviews. That said, I'm entitled to an opinion and by gosh Ima give it... Topshop Unique, I'm glaring looking at you...

More posts coming soon...

2 comments:

Rachel, Cold Knees said...

Loving the oversized black coat/blanket thing but it would swamp me probably. I wasn't blown away with the Topshop Unique show either really, quite blah, even with dalmation theme.. xx

asha said...

I absolutely love Alexander Wang. Jealous of your bag! I just bought the Wang relaxed car jacket- it's stunning. The shapes and lines are to die for.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...