Friday 7 January 2011

TORRES

One to watch for 2011 - Rebecca Torres is the womenswear designer behind cult Glasgow label TORRES, and I predict she's going to blow up everywhere this year! Kingdom of Style have featured her before and I'm starting to see her in a few magazines...

The newest SS11 collection by TORRES, titled ‘League of Electric’ celebrates Rebecca’s secret fascination for classic sci-fi.  Not so much for the plots, but instead an obsession with the bright costumes and powerful female characters.  Their colourful costumes which embraced feminine curves were their shield and armour.  This latest offering from TORRES very clearly celebrates such heroines and their ability to face any challenge with poise and elegance.


Here are some of my favourites...









I love this collection because it's daring. The pieces are cut to compliment and accentuate curves, not disguise or hide them, which women are so often told to do. We need encouragement to love and embrace our figures, and in one of these bright pieces you'd be forced to show it off in a bold way. But there's an elegance to the collection too. It's not sexed up, it's clean-cut and futuristic. Basically League of Electric ticks every single box for me!

Spring Summer is going to be all about 70s loose-fitting, flowing chiffon and prints. Sigh. NOT a trend I can really get on board with. But thankfully I predict a counter-trend for bold colour blocking, clean lines and body-con. Praise the Lord, it's like a breath of fresh air! Reminds me of the way I feel about Katerina Lambrou's SS collection...

On sad final note, I first noticed TORRES a few years back when they worked with Glasgow desgin showroom/workshop and fashion institution Che Camille on a guerrila-style fashion show taking over the city's subway. I say sadly because Che Camille annouced this week they are closing up shop after years of helping to launch Scottish desginers and backing local talent. It's a shame they've had to end it, but I've got a sneaky feeling it's not the last I'll hear of Camille Lorigo, the owner and brains behind the outfit.

Let Glasgow (fashion) flourish. x

1 comment:

lydia lee said...

i absolutely love these dresses, there so out-there and colourful!

im having an Alexander-Wang esque studded bag giveaway if you want to have a look hon. xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...