Thursday 27 January 2011

L'ENFANT TERRIBLE

The Givenchy SS11 Couture collection is still my favourite of this year, but Jean Paul Gaultier comes a very, VERY close second. Inspired by the early London punk scene (again?) it's more than just a re-hashing of previous work - it's a wondrous hybrid creation.

There's a few different things going on here. Empire lines, fishtail gowns, pearls - some of the last pieces conjure up a ladylike, 20s-style demure vibe, while his take on the classically-punk Mohawk looks positively futuristic. Sci-fi even. But both these strands of inspiration weirdly work together and juxtapose beautifully with Gaultier's punk aesthetic we're so used to seeing. It SHOULD be wrong - it sounds it on paper - but something is SO right about this.

Some of my favourite looks (I'll try not to post too many, I'm aware it gets a bit overwhelming/boring to have too many pics):


Joint overall favourite 1






 Joint overall favourite 2




Thoughts?

OH AND BY THE WAY - this is pretty much my last chance to plead for your votes to win the Elle intern competition. It closes tomorrow so I promise I won't hassle you after then! I'm currently 10th - thanks SO much for those who have voted already. Please gimme a few more, I can't tell you what it would mean to me to win :)

VOTE HERE


 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...