Wednesday 21 November 2012

SCOTTISH BALLET PRESENTS: THE NUTCRACKER

Based on ETA Hoffmann's classic tale, The Nutcracker and the Mouse King, this classic ballet (scored by Tchaikovsky) is back at the Theatre Royal and touring the country this Christmas thanks to Scottish Ballet, and I literally COULD NOT be more excited!

I've talked loads about Scottish Ballet in the past, waxing lyrical about the amazing Alice in Wonderland and discussing at length the sumptuous costumes in The Sleeping Beauty, and while those were out-of-this-world, I feel like I've been waiting for YEARS for SB to roll out The Nutcracker again, as it's my absolute all-time favourite.

My mum first took me to see it in Glasgow back when I was in Primary school - it was my first ever live ballet and I was instantly hooked! That performance sparked a life-long obsession with both ballerinas (remember my Darcey Bussell phase, Maw?) AND the story. I mean, it's got everything - Christmas eve, toys, a handsome prince, a magical dolls house, an evil governess, mouse baddies, sword-fights, SUGAR PLUM FAIRIES, candy canes...








Stunning photos, right?! 

It's not just the dream-like quality of the festive story and score which makes me love this ballet above all others, but I'm sure the nostalgia of having seen it as a child and playing the video of the Warner Bros film over and over has helped me feel so fond of it.




Seriously, anyone else remember this film?!

Ballet fanatics among you may well have sussed that after The Sleeping Beauty last year and now with The Nutcracker, Scottish Ballet have tackled two of the notorious Tchaikovsky triple - the third being Swan Lake. If I were a betting woman I'd stake money on that being next year's shout... Although I suppose it's not particularly festive, or massively CHEERY either, but a girl can dream, right?

Touring dates are below and tickets are available to book online now. Honestly, go and see it if you get the chance!


Theatre Royal, Glasgow 8 – 29 December 2012
Festival Theatre, Edinburgh 8 – 12 January 2013
His Majesty’s Theatre, Aberdeen 16 – 19 January 2013
Eden Court Theatre, Inverness 23 - 26 January 2013
Grand Opera House, Belfast
Theatre Royal, Newcastle 6 - 9 February 2013








2 comments:

Claire said...

I'm totally going! My mum is taking me and my pal for a pre-crimble treat. I don't even know the story! Such a sheltered childhood...

Unknown said...

I really hope I get to go to the Glasgow date this year, it would be a shame to miss it again.

Much Love: http://razzledazzleandrocknroll.blogspot.co.uk/ If you fancy a nosey.

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...